Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Hand Foot Mouth Disease

On Fri, 31 oct, i fell sick, having fever & bodyache...till late night my fever never went off despite the fact that i have take paracetamol tablets for several times. End up i went to see doc & realised my fever went up to 39.8 degrees!! Doc gave me an injection to reduce my fever.

I have to avoid getting near to ethan that night coz of my fever. My fever went off the very next day, Sat. However my throat was killing me, my throat was very sore indeed. I tort i'm quite ok coz i dun hv cough /flu so i continue to breastfeed ethan rather than pump out. At night i realised i have two big ulcers inside my throat..argh...no wonder my throat so painful!!

My mouth started to grow more & more ulcers for the next few days..eating become a torture to me...i tort i'm v heaty, keep drinking lotza herbal tea..

On Mon morning, ethan start to have fever too..i got v worried so my mum & i brought him to clinic immediately. His fever was 38.2 degrees...after few intake of medicine syrup & use kodomo cold pad/ wet towel to his forehead, BUT his fever went up to 38.5 degrees instead. I went back to the clinic wif my hubby to consult doc. Doc prescribe us a stronger dose of fever syrup. It works finally to bring down his fever. It hurts me to see him drink the medicine so unwillingly.


Use Kodomo pad to relieve his fever..is not useful leh...


On Tues, i start to have red blisters on my thumbs & sore of my feet. My mum told me i might have Hand,Foot Mouth disease (HFMD). Ethan's fever dun have liao...but after feeding him at 7am, he refused to drink milk anymore. My hubby rushed home from work to send ethan to KKH. As the doc @ KKH oso suspected that i hv HFMD & passed to Ethan.

Where the hell i got this virus from?! even doc ask if i'm a childcare teacher or take care of other kids...i did not!! tink my body immune system too weak, tats y even children disease oso kena & make my ethan suffered wif me..i'm really very sorry..feel so bad & guilty..sobz..

Ethan was admitted to KKH immediatedly coz he can't intake any milk, will result in dehydration. Doc showed us that ethan's throat oso hv ulcers, tat's y can't drink at all. He kept crying whenever we tried to let him drink milk..so poor thing..my heart pain pain..is all my fault. He was put in an isolation room so as not to infect other babies/kids..oh no..


As an adult, HFMD is not serious, even milder than flu & cough. But for a 9 weeks old baby, HFMD is serious coz baby will refuse to drink milk due to the pain in his throat. so ethan have to be put on drip wif glucose water to maintain hydration in his body. He cried v badly when the doc & nurse r inserting the tube on his left hand..walao..so poor thing..


His fever came back in the night..saw him cry till so xinku, really v upset...doc dun allow medication for a 9-weeks old baby so we can only use cold compress to lower his temperature. ethan 'recognised' bed so his daddy went home to bring his favourite rocker for him to sleep at nite..


On the 2nd day, upon doc advised, we kept trying to make ethan drink milk via breastfeeding. he gradually drink my breastmilk liao, despite he keep crying & refusing to drink intially. Doc said if he can drink milk on a regular basis, he can go home the following day liao..so every 2hrs, we would force cum coax to make him drink. We succeeded!!

On the 3rd day early afternoon, the nurse removed the drip liao, but the tube remained to determine if he can totally do w/o the glucose water.


I miss my cotbed liao...


When can i go home, mummy??


Dear..u can go home at 5pm lo! He seems to understand & finally smiled liao..made me soooo...happy & relieved...


Papa..u dun need to sleep in this bed lo..hee..quick bring me home hor..


Mummy is so happy that u get well le..we can all go home together!!

9 comments:

Qinqin said...

o poor ethan.. i see liao oso so heartpain.. how is he already? beta? aiyo.. how come nvr tell us.. u have to take care too k...

Messy Babe said...

hmm..tat week im sick & oso v upset so din inform anyone..ethan & i oso 'contagious' during tat week, so doc say no frenz/relatives can visit my ethan..sobz..

v happy everything is over now...most important tat ethan is healthy & happy now...hee!!

Qinqin said...

is bb beta?

when he's beta we bring jayden go visit him.. so heartpain to see him like tat.. must go sayang him...

Messy Babe said...

yeah..he fully recover liaoz..

anyway i realised he always got constipation since birth..v headache..

Qinqin said...

jayden oso.. let him take water lorz.. tat wat jayden's doc tell us to do.. now that he is 4mth i give him a little apple juice sometimes n it does help..

Tracy said...

Poor Ethan! See him so unwell and with all the needles/tubes inserted, u muz be very xin tong!!

But i'm glad he's oredi recovered! Thank God for that! :)

Messy Babe said...

Yeah...is reali v upset to see him suffering & his cries pained me alot..i'm super happy when he can start to drink milk & doc say he can be discharged!!

James said...

aiyo so poor thing, the plug on his arm for the drip..

hey, he's looking really like ziping now hor..

Messy Babe said...

yalo...when the doc & nurses r trying to insert the plug in hand...he cried so HARD, reali xintong..

he look like ziping meh? many ppl say so leh, but how come i see him everyday & din realise huh? hehe!!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker